I’m baaaack! Did ya miss me? #missedyoutoo SO! Where the heck have I been?
Well, I spent the last week in New York and Boston for our latest #PoshNation events and quickly learned we were heading to a blizzard…which, for a California gal is not ideal. To be honest, I never even owned and coat (like a real COAT) until I started traveling for work 4 years ago. Any other time I went to the snow I would borrow a friends or family members winter appropriate pieces.
During this most recent trip to NY, I came to a lot of realizations about how utterly unprepared I was and how many things about the snow you don’t ever realize unless you have to experience it. So yes, some of these things may seem RIDICULOUS but hey — I live in a state where the weather is 70 degrees 10 months out of the year…so give your warm blooded girl a break.
Without further adieu….my list of shit I learned as a Cali girl in a blizzard.
- There is no way in hell you are going to find a coat or snow boots to purchase at any store in California in March…I tried.
- 20 degrees feels like needles rushing through your body and a snowman blowing icicles kisses on your face.
- You really need snow boots. Not ankle boots. Not suede boots. Not Nike sneakers (which is all of what I brought). Waterproof boots with thick socks and treading is the top choice — I was slipping and tripping and sliding…not fun.
- Layering is key — And not just layering a coat over a t-shirt…also something I am guilty of doing.
- Literally nothing is open and you should stock up on things you need. LIKE WINE OR WATER OR FOOD. Thank goodness our hotel restaurant was open!
- Booze. It’s obviously a life essential in a crisis such as a blizzard. #enoughsaid
- Fingerless gloves are useless. Just no.
- Your phone WILL go into arctic shock and not function. It literally shut off. Like “Bitch I’m too cold to work” and my fingers were too cold to detect any touch screen functions…so there was that.
- Makeup is completely unnecessary. I attempted once during the day and I ended up getting it all over a scarf and because it was so cold my eyes watered…I looked way cute.
- Accessories are pretty much key. Beanies, gloves, scarves…you need them all.
- Uber drivers expect you to climb over a wall of snow to get in the car. If I can’t even WALK properly in the snow how do you expect me to climb through an icy hill to get in?
- I couldn’t tell if my feet were wet or cold. They were both.
- You go from freezing cold outside, to sweating hot inside – there is no balance.
- Peeling off layers and putting them back on is a fucking PROCESS and takes legit 5 minutes.
Pretty much, the snow is no joke BUT I do have to say it’s absolutely beautiful and I had a grand ole time experiencing it on this trip. Is it summer yet? ☀️
Oh my! Girl, I’m a Georgia girl to the core. Like you, I know absolutely nothing about the snow so thanks for sharing. I would have never considered that my phone wouldn’t work in the freezing cold!!! What a disaster that would be! LOL!!
LOVE THIS! As a California girl myself, I can’t even deal in this type of weather and have to stay home if it rains. We are soooo spoiled but I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. Well, except maybe New York! xoxo